The Canadian Experience Class requires a lot of knowledge & experience when completing the application to ensure the applicant meets all the requirements. Guidance is always advised prior to taking any decision / action.

Do you qualify?

Both CEC streams require applicants to demonstrate that they have met the minimum language requirements for their abilities to speak, listen, read and write. They must provide the results of their English or French language test from a designated language testing agency.

Applications under this category are assessed on a pass or fail basis using the above-described criteria, there is no point system and there is no discretion on the part of a visa officer.

Applicants resident in Canada must have legal temporary resident status at the time they make the application, but do not need to be employed. Those who have left Canada but meet the above requirements can still make an application under the CEC if they apply within one year of leaving their employment in Canada.

What is the Canadian Experience Class?

The CEC is prescribed as a class of persons who may become permanent residents on the basis of their Canadian experience and who:

  • 1. Intend to reside in a province or territory other than Quebec;
  • 2. Maintained temporary resident status during their qualifying period of work experience as well as during any period of full-time study or training in Canada.

The program is directed towards attracting and retaining highly skilled Temporary Foreign Workers and International students that are already living in Canada and who have shown commitment and already managed to adapt to the Canadian society.


Work experience accumulated in Canada without valid temporary resident status does not qualify as Canadian work experience (i.e. foreign nationals such as refugee claimants in Canada and undocumented workers).

Who can apply ?

There are two streams available:


Under this stream, an applicant must have acquired, in Canada, within the 36 months before the date the application is made, at least 24 months of full-time work experience, or the equivalent in part-time work experience, in a NOC type 0, or level A or B occupation (i.e., managerial, professional, or skilled and technical).


Under this stream the applicant must have:

  • 1. Completed a required program of study in Canada and obtained a Canadian educational credential (e.g., degree, diploma, or certificate);
  • 2. Been enrolled full-time in this program of study or training for two years.
  • 3. The prospective applicant must have acquired in Canada at least 12 months of full-time work experience, or the equivalent in part-time work experience in a NOC type 0, or level A or B occupation, within the 24 months before the date the application is made.


On January 31, 2012, the 2006 edition of the NOC was updated with a 2011 version.

How to apply?

If you are considering making an application for permanent residence under the CEC and wish to benefit from the assistance of a lawyer during this process, please contact us for further information.

If you wish to apply to the Canadian Experience Class on your own, your application should include:


As of January 1st 2012, all Canadian Experience Class applications must be submitted directly to the Centralized Intake Office (CIO) in Sydney, Nova Scotia. Applications must be prepared using the updated instruction guide and Document Checklist (IMM 5610) or they will be returned as incomplete.