Temporary residents and visitor visa extension
If you are a foreign national:
Canada welcomes all kinds of temporary residents, whether they come to visit, work or study. If you are a foreign visitor or temporary resident and your permit is about to expire, you must apply for a 30-day extension prior to the expiration date of your visa.
Contact us for more information.
If you have a visitor’s visa:
- A valid passport that does not expire until after you leave Canada.
- Visitors need to apply for a visa to travel to Canada, unless they come from a visa exempt country.
- Canada does not pay for hospital or medical services for visitors, so visitors should purchase travel insurance prior to arrival.
- If visitors want to stay longer, they must apply to extend their temporary resident status before it expires.
If you want to extend a visitor permit (visa):
If you want to change the conditions or extend your stay in Canada:
- Document Checklist (IMM 5558) (PDF, 35 KB)
- Application to Change Conditions, Extend My Stay, or Remain in Canada (IMM 1249) (PDF, 251 KB)
- Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union (IMM 5409) (PDF, 97 KB)
- Use of a Representative (IMM 5476) (PDF, 55 KB)
- Instruction Guide (IMM 5551) (IMM 5551)
If you are already in Canada as a visitor and wish to convert your visitor visa into a work permit:
Usually, individuals cannot come to Canada as visitors and convert their visitor visa into a work permit. If you wish for this to happen, you will likely have to apply for a work permit from outside Canada. For more information, please contact us.